Wednesday 10 September 2014

An Abundance of Eggs

Blueberry muffin and a strawberry & banana smoothie
(grabbed on the hoof this morning)
Worry not, I am not about to divulge the latest stocktakings re my ovaries -- who knows what mysteries there are there. It is the fruitfulness of my fridge that is the matter in hand. We are abundant in eggs, and jars of mould.

Never have we achieved a goldilocks zone of just enough eggs chez nous. We run in cycles of panic buying, and woeful forgetfulness. I have eaten 6 eggs this week, all of them long since past their sell by date, and still we have at least a dozen left.

Fortunately I inherited my Great Grandmother's cavalier approach to use bys and best befores, so things seldom go to waste round here. Mostly I ignore the dates and work on the principle that if something smells profoundly odd, or fizzes when you eat it, then it's probably best discarded. Otherwise, it's down the hatch and consider it a triumph if you are not sick within 24 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment