Saturday 27 September 2014

Lovely Rice Pudding Again

Rice pudding


It's funny how some things stick in the mind.  Rice pudding and Mary Jane are inseparable to me, in the same way that mashed potatoes and the damn Bodger and Badger song are symbiotic to me (and my sister).

I feel quite the opposite to Mary Jane on the rice pudding front.  It's always been a favourite of mine, and is a particular comfort food: one of the unholy triumvirate -- rice pudding,  box macaroni cheese,  and Gran-Gran's tuna kedgeree. (Condensed milk exists on it's own special, dire emergencies plane.)

Perhaps it's bottom-lip jutting, tantrummy Mary Jane with her flailing arms and fat-fisted fury, who makes me so fond of it. Either way,  I cannot encounter rice pudding and not think of the cross little miss in her highchair, eponymous shoes flying, and the bowl untouched...

No comments:

Post a Comment