Wednesday 25 May 2011

Breakfast the One-Hundred-and-Thirty-Sixth

Doppelganger shreddies.
I don't know very much about Adele, except that she sings some reasonably easy on the ears songs and is sort of militantly chubby (based on a radio interview I heard once); but I can't say I'll be rushing out to contribute to her livelihood having read this:
Speaking to Q magazine, the Rolling in the Deep singer said, "I'm mortified to have to pay 50%! [While] I use the NHS, I can't use public transport any more. Trains are always late, most state schools are shit, and I've gotta give you, like, four million quid – are you having a laugh? When I got my tax bill in from [the album] 19, I was ready to go and buy a gun and randomly open fire."
I'd be thrilled if I was paying £4 million in tax.

Incidentally, why is it that talk of weight is always so polarised: there is a good middle ground between "plus size" -- which the media is endlessly telling us is the size "real women" are --  and emaciated.

Somewhere along the line someone decided that average weight constitutes "normal" and that normal is healthy; however given that 60% of people in this country are overweight, average can't be a good yardstick for what is healthy.

I must say I find it rather wearying always to be reading that I am abnormal given that I'm probably exactly the size that a woman hoping to remain fertile and avoid heart disease ought to be.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE Adele! That being said I missed the ticket buying day for her concert in Atlanta, now the tickets are $300 for standing up and $700 US to have your butt in a seat. Oh well

    ReplyDelete