Sunday 31 August 2014

Lost or Stolen or Strayed: One Mother

French toast, bacon, strawberries, raspberries & maple syrup
This weekend I have found myself relating a good deal to James James Morrison Morrison with his vanishing mother…

"Disobedience" was my absolutely favourite poem in When We Were Very Young. I remember reading it over and over again -- giggling through the last verse, my favourite: "(Now then, very softly)". It occurs to me that I may simply have, early on, identified an alarmingly errant streak in my meandering mother. And while perhaps I don't take quite such good care of her as Master Weatherby George Dupree (who could?), I do my best for a girl of only thirty(one!).

I have been my mother's very own stalker the last couple of days. I phoned and phoned, I even went round to her house -- but could she be found? Could she? She finally resurfaced -- oh so casually -- at half past ten this evening. Half past ten!

I bet she went down to the end of the town.

1 comment:

  1. I did go down to the end of the town, though not of my own accord;
    And you certainly do take great care of your mother--(I expect there is little reward...)

    ReplyDelete