Wednesday 23 March 2011

Breakfast the Seventy-Third

Yoghurt, banana and Honey Nut Cornflakes.
It turns out even the Oxford English Dictionary has given up on spelling yog(h)urt with an 'h'. Never-the-less, that's the way I've been spelling it all along; so, in the interest of preserving a slightly outdated spelling mode, I shall continue to include the 'h'. (I thought the spell-checker was being bolshy about 'yoghurt' because it was speaking yank.)

You may (or most likely, may not) be interested to learn that other spellings include: yoghurd, yogourt, yahourt, yaghourt, yogurd, yoghourt, yooghort, yughard, yughurt, and yohourth. So there you go. Evelyn Waugh seems to have liked spelling it 'yoghourt.'

Spelling is not my strong suit. I almost invariably refer to the product of opium poppies as heroine. And I'm not sure I'll ever get 'lieu' right the first time.

1 comment:

  1. In addition to the hottie conversation with my new London friends, I asked them about yoghurt, too and Muesella (sp) as well. I think you might like grits...cheese grits

    ReplyDelete