Wednesday 16 February 2011

Breakfast the Thirty-Eighth

Cinnamon and raisin bagel with raspberry jam & some cherries.

This evening a friend gave me a cello lesson. Incredibly, I wasn't completely hopeless. This definitely bucks a trend: I've rarely found myself to be any good at the things I'd like to be good at, such as the cello. Instead I have an array of bizarre, or frankly just pedestrian, aptitudes.

To wit: I'm actually pretty good at parking -- but have no car. I can eat an entire can of condensed milk in one sitting with no ill effects. I'm rather good at the hurdles -- actual ones, metaphorical ones trip me up every time. I can navigate quite proficiently so long as I am allowed to turn the map upside down, and I can stick my big toes straight up at right angles to my feet keeping the remaining toes flat on the floor.

I would however like to be good at a few worthwhile and satisfying things, like painting, or dancing, or doing cartwheels. Even being a good knitter would be nice. I can only do scarves; and always have to google how to cast off.  But perhaps the cello could be my as yet undiscovered forte. All I need now is an anonymous benefactor to give me a cello and pay for my lessons. (And while I'm asking for things from anonymous benefactors, a two-bedroom flat in Stockbridge, or around Broughton Street, would be lovely too.)

4 comments:

  1. You have your own set of skills my dear, such as WRITING. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been sitting here for ten minutes trying to get my toes to do that..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eating an entire can of condensed milk in one sitting without ill effects is a rare and special gift, Macdonald.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Turns out it's not true after all, there are ill effects; I hopped on the scales this morning. Wish I hadn't...

    ReplyDelete